10.22.2014

landlord_3


Excerpt: 

From Notebook 1261, ca. 1970

Dear Mr*

In regard to the many condemned buildings in the city that are awaiting
demolition, it has seems possible to me to put these buildings to use during this
waiting period. Recently I called Mr. Jones? of the Real Estate Dept. asking if it
were possible to rent a building or some space in a building [...] from the city. He
suggested that I write you stating my needs. 

My interest lie in several areas. As an artist I make sculpture using the natural by-
products of the land and people. I am interested in turning wasted areas such as 
blocks of rubble, empty lots, dumps into beautiful and useful areas. (A) Also, 
under my influences and direction along with the work of Alanna Highstein, there
was a very successful sculpture show under the Brooklyn Bridge which not only
aroused the interest of the artists in learning of the abandoned areas of new York
but was also very beneficial to the neighborhood. The children were fascinated by
the works, by the people, and by the ideas and were making all kinds of 
comments referring to the kinds of works they might like to do. 
Channeling this energy and interest of young people in art is one of the things I
would like to accomplish. By now I have staged several group shows of major
interest to New York artists and feel that much could be achieved by presenting
artists who would be willing to work with an organized group of young people.

For these interests I need one of or both of the following:
(1) A ground floor industrial space, approx. 2400-3500 Ft. with cold water and
the possibility of electrical connections. It needs no heat or windows. Something
like a warehouse: might be ideal. As a matter of fact, there is a warehouse with the
name of LASH IRON WORKS at 72 Pike Street near the Manhattan Bridge which is 
condemned & which would be ideal perfect for my working needs. 
(2) A small building, perhaps 3 or 4 stories business or residential, which I plan to
use entirely for a proposed art project which involves principally cleaning it up &
thereafter perhaps using it as a gallery space for group shows or as community space-
i.e teaching + working with young people.

I live and work in Lower Manhattan. Anything south of Houston Street, east or 
west side would be ideal. I cannot afford to pay very much but would be willing
to rent on a month-to-month basis and comply with any regulations you feel are 
necessary.
It is difficult, in a way, to write this letter but as my work is extremely flexible, I
can adapt myself virtually to whatever you might have available. If you need
further or more specific information please contact me.

Hoping to hear from you at your earliest possible convenience, I am
Sincerely yours, 

*Letter addressed to New York City official Harold Stern


pg. 71 "Gordon Matta Clark, Works and Collected Writings." Gloria Moure.
transcribed \ by radios&books


play the version and reel it back:

"Last Night The Landlord Nearly Killed Me":